Power Outage Relief for Residents of the Greater Rochester Community

Hart Middle School Available to Residents in Need of Warming Center

Due to the severity of power outages in the greater Rochester community, Rochester Hills, Rochester and Oakland Township have partnered with Rochester Community Schools to provide a temporary warming center to residents from all three communities who are without power.

To provide temporary relief from cold temperatures, Hart Middle School will be open 24 hours a day, beginning Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. and will remain open as needed. According to the National Weather Service, temperatures are expected to fall below freezing across the weekend, with highs below freezing and lows between 10-16 degrees.

Use of the facilities and drinking water will be provided. Food, showers and sleeping mats will also be available on a limited basis. All other necessities will be the responsibility of the individual, including bedding and other provisions. Pets are not allowed in the facility and guests will be responsible for their own belongings.

Power Outage Relief

Power Outage Relief

Hart Middle School is located at 6500 Sheldon Road, Rochester Hills, Michigan 48306. For questions specifically related to the Hart Middle School Warming Center, residents may call 248-941-9182.

Please note, Oakland Township is currently without power and cannot be reached directly via telephone. For non-emergency calls, please contact the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office at 248-858-4950 and as always, in the event of an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.

Additionally, the Rochester Hills Fire Department reminds you to please consider the following tips to stay safe and protect your home during power outages and extreme cold:

• The elderly are especially susceptible to extremely cold temperatures. Check on elderly friends, family, or neighbors frequently.

• Portable generators should only be used outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from windows and vents, and in dry areas to prevent electrocution.

• Do not attach the portable generators directly to the electrical system of a structure and use heavy-duty extension cords to connect appliances to the generator.

• Do not fuel your portable generator when it is running.

• The improper use of portable generators can cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. The symptoms include dizziness, headaches, nausea, and tiredness.

• Place space heaters at least three feet away from anything combustible (i.e. wallpaper, bedding, clothing, etc.).

• Never leave space heaters operating when you are not in the room or when you go to bed. Do not leave children unattended near space heaters.

• Outdoor heating devices should never be used in the home due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

• Use a fireplace screen when burning fires and burn only wood. NEVER burn paper or plastic.

• To prevent pipes from freezing, open kitchen and bathroom cabinets and let faucets drip.

• Remember: Pets get cold too! If it is too cold for you to be outside, it’s too cold for your pet as well. Do not leave cats/dogs outside for prolonged periods of time.

• Make sure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are working properly.

For additional safety information, please visit www.rochesterhills.org or call (248) 841-2542. For outage updates, please visit www.dteenergy.com.

About Rochester Media

Rochester Media publishes The Community Edge digital newsletter of recently posted articles from Rochester Media, a hyper-local news outlet covering all things in and around Rochester, Rochester Hills, and Oakland Township. Send us you press releases and news happenings to editor@rochestermedia.com.

Speak Your Mind