Stoney Creek Schoolhouse open for tours

The Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm will be hosting tours of the 1848 Stoney Creek Schoolhouse on the third Saturdays of the month starting on Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 1-4 p.m.  Members of the Sarah Van Hoosen Jones Questers will be hosting open hours in April – June providing historical information, and allowing guests to use the interactive iPad exhibit and view items in various display cases.  Admission is free as part of the regular admission price to tour the Museum buildings which is $5 adults, $ 3 seniors/students and Museum members are free.

The Stoney Creek Schoolhouse was built in 1848 replacing the log schoolhouse that burned across the street.  In the early 1950s an addition was added to accommodate the growing student population.  One of twelve schoolhouse in the community, it was the last school to consolidate to become part of the Rochester Community Schools.  The building is used daily as a historic classroom for area students.  The Stoney Creek Schoolhouse is located at 1051 Washington Road and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Feel free to park at the Museum site and walk the one block to the schoolhouse.  In addition, guests can walk to the Stoney Creek Cemetery to learn even more about the pioneers who settled our community.

The Quester organization is organized in five chapters in the Rochester area.  They provide fellowship and historical study, restoration, and preservation on local, state, and national projects.  For more information visit or call the Museum at 248.656.4663.


About Tom and Ann Gendich

Founders of Rochester Media. Looking to provide great local news to all people in and around Rochester and Rochester Hills. Send them a note at

Speak Your Mind